Finally! Summer is here! The cold, wet weather has passed, we have bright sunshine, and the temperature is rising fast enough to have a lot of people already complaining about the heat. Down here at the Museum, we get a bunch of other clues that the busy summer season is getting into full swing:
1) Our tour guides barely get a chance to sit down between tours! They finish one just in time to start the next. That's a great thing for us - but it does mean that sometimes nobody's within reach of the phone. We check messages several times a day, so if you're trying to call us please leave a message and we will call you back as soon as we can!
2) My to-do list never gets done, because I'm spending so much time down in the Museum helping give tours or staff the gift shop. But that's okay - I accepted long ago that my to-do list is really just a list of things that aren't going to get done today!
3) We no longer need a sweater inside the Museum. That's a benefit to the warmer weather - it's finally starting to penetrate the 18-inch-thick stone walls of the Museum building. Those walls are a natural air conditioner, so if you need a break from the heat, come on down - even though you don't need a sweater, it's still much cooler in here than anywhere outside!
4) I can get a nasty sunburn while doing my job. The fact that my job, some days, involves hanging out on a lovely shaded patio talking to visitors (members of the Packard car club
we had here yesterday) is just one of the many reasons I love what I do!
5) We no sooner get one event, exhibit, or other craziness finished, than we leap headlong into the next! One Kids' Day
, two car shows
, and three exhibits
already this summer - next up is the Found Art Challenge
and then the Old-Fashioned Tea
. Whew! No wonder people are always asking me what we've been doing down here!